POSTED ON February 10, 2022
LCLJ (Religious School) Educator
Central Synagogue is a thriving reform congregation in midtown Manhattan, serving 2,600 households and the larger community. We work towards a world in which Judaism is central to our lives and is a profound and positive force for humanity. We are constantly evolving as we pursue that goal. Together, we learn, worship, serve and continually redefine what it means to be Jewish today, both within our community and far beyond our walls. We do this through our programmatic areas of focus: Worship/Holidays/Music; Pastoral Care/Lifecycles; Adult Engagement; Youth and Family Engagement and Social Justice. For more information about our organization visit www.centralsynagogue.org.
The Synagogue will employ you as a full-time Educator in The Lese Center for Living Judaism. Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, classroom teaching, family and parent education, social justice programming, social and holiday programming, field trips and other off-site programs, and communication with parents and other stakeholders.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Planning, implementation and assessment of curriculum and programs for students in grade K-9
- Teaching and engaging students in grades K-9 each afternoon with occasional Shabbat teaching;
- Ongoing evaluation of student achievement in Hebrew and Judaic studies;
- Regular communication with parents;
- Family programming including Holidays, Shabbat and other programs during the week and on occasional weekends;
- Facilitating home and internet-based learning initiatives;
- Involvement in broader synagogue programming;
- And ongoing engagement with staff and congregants to foster a greater senses of Jewish community.
Full-time; Exempt and not eligible for OT
General hours when school is in session are 10:00 am to 7:00 pm, Tuesday through Thursday (depending on the days and grades you teach), 12:00pm to 7:00pm on Mondays, and 10:00 am to 4:30 pm on Fridays. Summer, Winter, and Spring break hours are 9:00 am to 5:30 pm.
Please note that you are expected to work at least one of the High Holy Days, and frequent evening and weekend work, including Shabbat.
- Bachelor's degree (Master’s degree a plus)
- A minimum of 2 years of previous leadership experience preferred (including teaching, camp staff, youth group advisor, etc.)
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (oral, written and interpersonal)
- Knowledge of and experience with social media
- Solid Jewish background, literacy, and Hebrew language decoding and reading
- Dedication to teaching and experience working with children
- Passion for Judaism and Jewish education
- Strong work ethic, flexibility in schedule
- Familiarity with Reform Judaism
- Strong mentorship skills with children
- Ability to manage a classroom
- Experience with song leading and t'fillah a plus
- Familiarity with Project Based Learning a plus
Please note, the above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
The expected salary range for this position is $50,000 to $57,000. Central Synagogue offers an extensive benefits package designed to meet the needs of our dedicated and diverse community. The salary is commensurate with experience based on a number of factors, including, but not limited to, skills, knowledge, training, education, areas of specialization and depth and scope of experience.
Central Synagogue requires all staff members (full-time AND part-time) to (a) provide proof of vaccination and booster against COVID-19 or (b) obtain an approved exemption as an accommodation. If you are offered employment this requirement must be met by your hire date unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved.
Comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, PTO, paid family leave, retirement contribution, and other benefits
Interested candidates should send your cover letter, resume and three references to [email protected] and indicate your name and position title – Full-Time Jewish Educator in the subject line.